Table of Contents
It is typically installed as part of the HP Insight Control management software suite.
We will learn more about PSM in this article.
Its essential functions include optimization, error logging, failure prediction, and enabling Intel power management technologies.
What is HP Processor Support Module?
These products often include various software and firmware components to ensure proper functioning and support for the hardware components, including processors.
HP might offer different models of laptops or desktops that support various Intel Core i3, i5, i7, or i9 processors or AMD Ryzen processors.
These processors come with varying levels of performance, core counts, clock speeds, and other specifications, catering to different user needs, from basic tasks to high-end gaming and content creation.
Is HP Processor Support Module Required?
It is a component of HP server systems that monitors and manages the processors (CPUs). It works at the firmware level.
The PSM is designed to work with various CPU models and configurations and is optimized for multi-processor servers.
HP Processor Support Module is an essential component of the HP ProLiant server ecosystem, helping to ensure that servers perform at their best while minimizing the risk of system overload or failure.
HP Processor Support Module Main Functions
- Monitoring CPU temperature, speed, and workload while tracking CPU metrics like utilization, clock speed, power usage, etc., can adjust performance to prevent overheating.
- It Enables power-saving modes by dynamically allowing Intel power-saving technologies like SpeedStep and Demand-Based Switching to optimize power usage.
- CPU error logging and predictive failure alerts as it logs the errors and can provide early warnings about potential CPU failures before they happen.
- Flexible CPU configuration allows disabling or throttling select CPU cores and threads for power savings or to remove faulty roots from use.
- Support processor firmware updates while initiating and managing BIOS/firmware updates for the processors.
- Integration with HP management tools like HP OneView and iLO to provide monitoring/alerting and enable remote management.
- The Processor Support Module runs independently at the system level even if the OS goes down. This allows it to monitor and manage the CPUs for reliability actively.
- It provides telemetry and error logs that can be used for troubleshooting performance and stability issues related to the CPUs.
Few Hewlett-Packard Processor Support Modules
- Hewlett-Packard (HP) A6799A – CPU Processor Support Module (PSM)
- Hewlett-Packard (HP) A3639-69012 – CPU Processor Support Module (PSM)
- Hewlett-Packard (HP) A5796A L-CLASS – CPU Processor Support Module (PSM)
- Hewlett-Packard (HP) A5168A – CPU Processor Support Module (PSM)
- Hewlett-Packard (HP) A3639-69033- CPU Processor Support Module (PSM)
- Hewlett-Packard (HP) 0950-3908 – CPU Processor Support Module (PSM)
The PSM is responsible for monitoring the CPU usage of the server and adjusting the CPU performance as needed to maximize server performance and ensure that the server does not become overloaded.
It does this by changing the CPU clock speed and voltage in real time based on the server’s workload.
Overall, it’s a vital firmware component that administrators rely on to keep HP servers running optimally and detect CPU-related problems proactively.